Pot Roast With Vegetables
|Lard/Vegetable oil||30 Milliliter (2 Tablespoons)|
|Beef top round roast||3 Pound, tied (1 Roast, 1350 Gram)|
|White onions||2 Large, cut into 3/8 inch thick slices|
|Garlic clove||3 Large, minced|
|Beef stock/Beef broth||750 Milliliter (3 Cups)|
|Dried pequin chiles/1 dried seeded de arbol chili||4|
|Dried thyme||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Dried oregano||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Tomatillos/2 cans of 13 ounces / 370 gram each tomatillos, drained||2 Pound, husked (Fresh, 900 Gram)|
|Poblano chilies||2 Large, roasted, peeled, seeded, deveined cut into 1/2 inch wide strips (Fresh)|
|New potatoes||12 Small, unpared (Red Skinned)|
|Minced fresh coriander||60 Milliliter (1/4 Cup)|
1. Heat lard in 5-quart (5-L) Dutch oven over medium heat until hot. Add beef; cook, turning occasionally, until brown on all sides, 10 to 15 minutes. Remove to plate.
2. Add onions and garlic to pan; saute over medium heat until soft, 6 to 8 minutes. Add stock, pequin chilies, thyme and oregano; heat over medium-high heat to boiling. Add tomatillos to pan. If using fresh tomatillos, cook over medium heat until fork-tender, about 10 minutes.
3. Add beef to pan, pushing it down so it is surrounded by liquid. Place 3/4 of poblano chili strips on top of beef. Heat over medium-low heat to simmering; simmer, partially covered, 2 1/2 hours.
4. Pare and seed chayote; cut into 1 x 1 1/2 inch (2.5x4-cm) pieces. Add chayote and potatoes to beef; simmer, covered, over medium-low heat until potatoes and beef are fork-tender, 30 to 40 minutes longer.
5. Remove beef, potatoes and chayote to warm serving platter; keep warm, covered. Process 1/2 the cooking sauce in blender at a time until smooth.
6. Return sauce to pan; cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until reduced to 4 cups (1 L), 20 to 25 minutes. Stir in coriander.
7. Garnish beef with remaining poblano chili strips.