|All purpose flour||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs)|
|Baking powder||1 Tablespoon|
|Ground cinnamon||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Ground allspice||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Vegetable shortening||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Sugar||1 3⁄4 Cup (28 tbs)|
|Carrots||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs), grated|
|Pecans||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), chopped|
|Hot water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1. Measure flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and allspice into a sifter.
2. Beat shortening and sugar until fluffy in the large bowl of electric mixer at medium speed. Add eggs, one at a time, until blended; add vanilla.
3. Stir in carrots and nuts with a wooden spoon. Sift in flour mixture, a third at a time, blending alternately with w,ater, to make a smooth batter. Divide batter between two greased and floured 9-inch layer cake pans.
4. Bake in moderate oven (375°) 35 minutes, or until top springs back when lightly touched with fingertip; cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes. Loosen cakes around edges with a narrow spatula; turn onto wire racks; cool completely.
5. Fil and frost layers with fluffy FILLING AND FROSTING. Garnish with pecani halves, if you wish.