Sweet Potato Bread
|Unbleached white flour||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Active dry yeast||1 Tablespoon (1 Package)|
|Milk||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Mashed cooked sweet potato||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Vegetable oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Wheat germ||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Whole wheat flour||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
1. Mix the white flour, yeast, and salt together.
2. Heat the milk, water, and sweet potato until very warm.
3. Add to the dry ingredients and beat with electric mixer at medium speed for 2 minutes.
4. Stir in the oil and wheat germ, then add enough whole wheat flour to make a firm dough.
5. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 10 minutes, or until smooth and satiny.
6. Put in an oiled bowl, turning to oil the top. Cover with plastic wrap, allowing the wrap to touch the dough.
7. Let rise in warm place for 45 minutes, or until doubled.
8. Punch the dough down, then shape into a loaf and put in an oiled 8- by 4- by 2-inch loaf pan.
9. Let rise for 30 minutes, or until light.
10. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
11. Bake the bread for 35 minutes, or until done. Turn out and cool on a wire rack.