Reception Carrot Cake
|Orange juice||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Golden raisins||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), chopped|
|All purpose flour||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Salad oil||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs)|
|Packed brown sugar||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Baking soda||4 Teaspoon|
|Ground cinnamon||4 Teaspoon|
|Vanilla extract||2 Teaspoon|
|Ground cloves||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Carrots||16 Ounce, shredded (1 Bag)|
|Canned walnuts||8 Ounce, chopped (1 Can)|
|Grated orange peel||2 Tablespoon|
|Frosting||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Reception Cake)|
|Bouquet of sweetheart roses||1 (For Garnishing)|
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two 15 1/2" by 10 1/2" jelly-roll pans. In 1-quart saucepan over medium heat, heat orange juice and golden raisins to boiling. Reduce heat to low; simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes; remove saucepan from heat.
2. Into large bowl, measure flour, next 9 ingredients, and raisin mixture. With mixer at low speed, beat ingredients just until mixed, constantly scraping bowl with rubber spatula. Increase speed to high; beat 3 minutes, occasionally scraping bowl. Spoon half of batter into another large bowl.
3. With rubber spatula, fold half of shredded carrots, half of chopped walnuts, and half of grated orange peel into each bowl of batter. Spoon batters into pans. Bake 25 to 30 minutes, until toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean, switching pans between upper and lower oven racks halfway through baking time so layers bake evenly. Cool layers in pans on wire racks 10 minutes; remove layers from pans; cool completely on racks.
4. When cake is cool, prepare Reception Cake Frosting.
5. On large platter or tray, place 1 cake layer, rounded side down. With wet knife or metal spatula, spread cake evenly with about 3 cups frosting. (Keep remaining frosting covered with plastic wrap to prevent it from drying out.) Top with second cake layer, rounded side up. Spread cake evenly with about 2 1/2 cups frosting.
6. Place about 1/2 cup frosting in decorating bag with medium writing tube ('/4-inch diameter). Pipe thick vertical lines about 3/4 inch apart on sides of cake.
7. Place about 1 1/4 cups frosting in same decorating bag with medium ribbon tube (about 1/2 inch wide). Starting at top of 1 side of cake, pipe a horizontal strip from first vertical line over second vertical line just up to third vertical line, then pipe another strip from third line over fourth line just up to fifth line. Continue to pipe strips around sides of cake until top row is complete. Pipe second row, starting at second vertical line and going over third vertical line just up to fourth vertical line to create a woven effect. Continue to pipe strips around sides of cake until second row is complete. Repeat to make 2 more rows.
8. Place remaining frosting in decorating bag with ruffled-border tube. Pipe attractive border around top edge of cake. If not using cake right away, refrigerate.
9. Garnish cake with bouquet of roses. To serve, cut cake lengthwise into 3 strips, then cut each strip crosswise into 15 slices.
Calories 513 Calories from Fat 273
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 31 g47.9%
Saturated Fat 2.4 g12.2%
Trans Fat 0.4 g
Cholesterol 65.1 mg21.7%
Sodium 423.4 mg17.6%
Total Carbohydrates 55 g18.4%
Dietary Fiber 2.3 g9.2%
Sugars 36.4 g
Protein 6 g11.3%
Vitamin A 60.2% Vitamin C 8.8%
Calcium 5.3% Iron 9.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet