Cold Braised Leeks With Walnuts
|Water||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Salad oil||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Walnuts||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), coarsely chopped|
|White wine vinegar||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
1. Cut off roots and trim leaf ends of leeks. Cut leeks crosswise in half; cut root ends lengthwise in half. Rinse leeks with running cold water to remove all sand.
2. In 8-quart Dutch oven or saucepot over medium heat, heat leeks and water to boiling. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and cook 10 to 15 minutes, until leeks are very tender; drain.
3. Meanwhile, in small skillet or saucepan over medium-low heat, in hot salad oil, cook walnuts until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. With slotted spoon, remove walnuts from oil; set aside.
4. Stir wine vinegar, sugar, and salt into oil in skillet; set aside.
5. Place drained leeks in 13" by 9" baking dish. Pour oil and vinegar mixture over leeks. Refrigerate until chilled, about 2 hours, occasionally spooning oil-and-vinegar mixture over leeks. Just before serving, sprinkle with nuts.