Fried Stuffed Cucumbers
|Cucumbers||3 Large (For Filling mixture)|
|Cornstarch||3 Tablespoon (Filling mixture)|
|Tomato sauce||1 Tablespoon (Filling mixture)|
|Frying oil||2 Cup (32 tbs) (For deep frying)|
|Water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (Filling mixture)|
1. Prepare either of the filling mixtures below.
2. Leave cucumbers unpeeled; or peel them lengthwise in alternating strips. (The latter are not only decorative, but help the cucumbers hold their shape after cooking.) Cut crosswise in 2-inch sections.
3. Scoop out seeds and stuff cucumbers with filling mixture as above, but do not dredge with flour.
4. Blend cornstarch and cold water to a paste and brush over stuffed cucumber sections to coat. Reserve remaining paste.
5. Heat oil to smoking. Add cucumber sections a few at a time; then reduce heat and deep-fry until pale golden. Drain on paper toweling.
6. Bring remaining water to a boil. Gently lower in cucumbers; then simmer, covered, 10 minutes over very low heat.
7. Remove cucumbers to a serving platter, leaving liquids in pan. Add reserved cornstarch paste and tomato sauce, and stir in to thicken. Pour sauce over cucumbers and serve.