1. On a plate, place the shanks and season it with half of salt and pepper.
2. Cover with plastic film and refrigerate for 24 hours.
3. Pat dry the shanks using paper towel.
4. Dust the shank lightly with pan searing flour on both sides.
5. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
6. Place a deep pan on medium high heat.
7. Put in the extra virgin olive oil, and allow to lightly smoke.
8. Sear the shanks in olive oil for about 3 minutes on each side or until it get light brown color.
9. Remove the shanks on a plate.
10. In the same pan, add garlic, mirepoix and white wine.
11. Bring the wine mixture to a simmer.
12. Reduce the heat and allow the wine mixture to reduce in volume by half.
13. Pour in ground tomatoes; add shanks and season with remaining salt and pepper.
14. Raise the heat, stir and allow to simmer
15. Cover the pan with lid and place in oven, and allow to cook for 2 hours.
16. After 2 hours, gently mix sage and rosemary in the sauce.
17. Return the pan to the oven for 15 minutes without lid.
18. Gently place the shanks on serving plate and top with tomato sauce.
19. Serve the shanks hot.
Leftover tomato sauce if any, can be use to toss cooked pasta.
This recipe can also be used for pork shanks.