Paillard of Veal with Bitter Greens
|Chicory head||1 Small (Curly Endive)|
|Escarole head||1 Small|
|Romaine lettuce head||1 Small|
|Veal rib chops/4 large veal scallops, pounded to 1/4 inch thick||4 , 1 1/2 inch thick, boned, trimmed and pounded to 1/4 inch|
|Freshly ground pepper||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Unsalted butter||3 Tablespoon|
|Olive oil||9 Tablespoon|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), crushed through press|
|Dijon mustard||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Red wine vinegar||2 Tablespoon|
1) Remove and discard the tough outer leaves from the chicory, escarole and romaine.
2) Discard the strong central ribs and separate the heads into individual leaves.
3) Cut these leaves into bite-size pieces.
4) In a large bowl, combine the greens. Rinse in cold water and pat dry with paper towel. Set aside.
5) Preheat the oven to 200°.
6) Season the veal on both sides with 1/2 teaspoon of the salt and 1/4 teaspoon of the pepper.
7) In a large skillet, add butter to melt down in 3 tablespoons of the oil over moderately high heat.
8) SautÃ© the veal paillards in batches for 5 minutes by turning once, until the pieces are well browned and tender.
9) Place these veal pieces on a heatproof platter, cover loosely with foil and keep warm in the oven.
10) In another bowl, add remaining 6 tablespoons oil, the garlic, mustard and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Whisk the mixture until blended.
11) Pour this dressing over the mixed greens and toss to coat evenly.
12) Use 4 warmed large plates, to arrange all the veal paillards evenly. Pour out the fat in the pan.
13) Return the pan to moderate heat and add the vinegar.
14) Bring to a boil, scraping up any brown bits from the bottom of the pan.
15) Add the mixed greens to the hot pan and toss to mix in the vinegar.
16) Serve the salad on top of the veal by dividing in equal amount for all 4 plates.
Calories 841 Calories from Fat 565
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 64 g97.7%
Saturated Fat 18.9 g94.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 270.2 mg90.1%
Sodium 774.7 mg32.3%
Total Carbohydrates 6 g1.9%
Dietary Fiber 2.7 g10.8%
Sugars 1 g
Protein 60 g120.7%
Vitamin A 194.8% Vitamin C 42.7%
Calcium 11.8% Iron 23%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet