Wood Grilled Veal Loin
|Dried black beans||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Chicken stock||3 1⁄2 Cup (56 tbs)|
|Onion||1 Medium, coarsely chopped|
|Garlic||3 Clove (15 gm), minced|
|Smoked bacon slices||3 , chopped (Raw Variety)|
|Serrano chilies||2 , chopped|
|Fresh epazote sprigs||1|
|Freshly ground pepper||To Taste|
|Ears of sweet corn||4 (Fresh)|
|Bacon fat/Vegetable oil||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Shallot||1 , finely chopped|
|Freshly squeezed lemon juice||1 Tablespoon|
|Corn oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Veal steaks||24 Ounce, slightly flattened (4 Steaks, 6 Ounce Each)|
1) In a heavy saucepan, add beans and cold water enough to soak the beans. Soak the beans for at least 8 hours or maximum overnight. Drain and rinse the beans before use.
2) In the saucepan, add beans, chicken stock, onion, half the garlic, bacon, serrano chiles, epazote, salt and pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil.
3) Turn down the flame to medium and let simmer for about 60 minutes.
4) Transfer the tender beans into a food processor and blend to get a smooth puree. If needed to be made thin, add in more stock. At the end, you should end up with 2 cups of the smooth puree.
5) Transfer the puree back into the saucepan and let simmer to keep warm.
6) Dehusk the corn and scrape the kernels off the cobb. Retain the corn liquid and pulp.
7) In a saucepan add bacon fat and cook on medium high flame. Mix in corn, shallots and the remaining garlic cloves.
8) Cook the mixture on low flame, simmering for about 15 minutes. Stir once a while. Add in lemon juice and salt. Let the mixture stay warm until serving.
9) Set up a charcoal fire. Let the coals burn down to give out a grayish ash.
10) On a grill, rub a little corn oil and set it over the hot coals.
11) Brush more corn oil over the veal steaks and season with salt and pepper. Grill the steaks for about 3 minutes on each side till you can see grill marks on both sides of the veal.
12) Arrange the four veal steaks on four warm plates. Add a tablespoonful each of the bean puree and the corn puree on the side.
13) Serve the Wood Grilled Veal Loin with Tomato Ranchero Sauce and Crisp Tortilla and Jicama Salad.