Glazed Veal Roast
|Veal shank||4 Pound (1 Whole Shank)|
|Carrot||1 , peeled, halved, thinly sliced|
|Celery||1 , peeled, thinly sliced|
|Onion||1 Medium, finely chopped|
|Chicken stock||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs)|
|Fresh thyme sprigs/1 teaspoon dried thyme||4|
|Freshly ground pepper||To Taste|
|Swiss chard||2 Pound, cleaned, trimmed|
|Lemon juice||1 Tablespoon|
|Unsalted butter||2 Tablespoon|
|Scallions||5 , trimmed, thinly sliced|
1) Preheat the oven to 325° F.
2) Put the veal in a lidded Dutch Oven. Add in carrots, celery and onion. Next, add 1 cup chicken stock, thyme, salt and pepper.
3) Place the Dutch Oven with its lid on in the oven. Cook for about 2 hours. Add in more stock if needed. Keep warm after removing from oven.
4) Take the Swiss Chard and sepate the green leaves from the stems. Chop the green leaves into thin slices and put in a bowl of water and lemon juice. Keep aside. Slice the stems into 1-inch pieces.
5) In a pot of salted boiling water, add the stems. Drain and set aside.
6) Slice the tomatoes in two halves and squeeze out their seeds with bare hands. Further, cut into 1/4-inch dices.
6) In a saucepan, heat butter. Add in the chard stems, tomatoes and scallions. Mix over medium high flame for about 3 minutes.
7) Add in 1/4 cup chicken stock. Turn up the flame to high.
8) Add the drained chard greens to the pan. Cook for about 30 seconds till the greens become soft. Take the pan off the flame and add in vinegar. Season with salt and pepper. Mix well.
8) Strain the vegetables to cook all the liquid.
9) Transfer the veal back into the Dutch Oven after wiping it clean.
10) Cook uncovered at 450° F for 10 minutes or until the meat is glazed.
11) Serve the glazed veal on the serving platter with the veggies on the side. Carve out slices of the veal for each individual along with a serving of veggies.