Veal Stuffed With Kidneys
|Veal loin||5 Pound|
|Veal kidneys||1⁄2 Pound|
|Black pepper||To Taste|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm)|
|Marjoram sprig/Thyme sprigs||3|
|Dry white wine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Watercress||1 Tablespoon (For Garnish)|
1) When purchasing the meat, ask the seller to bone the loin and hand over the bones to you.
2) From the kidneys, trim the fat and remove the outer skin. Use scissors to snip out the cores.
3) Preheat oven to temperature of 350 degrees.
4) On a board, lay the boned veal flat and over the cut side, spread the kidney.
5) Use salt and freshly ground pepper to season.
6) Peel the garlic and finely chop it along with the herbs. Sprinkle them over the kidney evenly.
7) Roll up the meat very carefully and use string to tie it up securely. Tie at 1 to 2-inch intervals.
8) With salt and pepper, rub the meat's outside properly and put it in a roasting pan. Surround with the veal bones.
9) Peel the onion and coarsely chop it. Scrape the carrots and finely chop them. Arrange the prepared vegetables around the meat.
10) In a small pan, heat the wine with ½ cup of water. Pour the mixture all over the meat.
11) With foil or a lid, cover the pan and place it in the center of the preheated oven. Cook for about 2 ¼ hours.
12) Halfway into the cooking time, turn the meat over and add a little more wine and water, if required.
13) For the final 30 minutes of cooking, remove the covering to allow the meat to brown.
14) Take the cooked meat out of the pan and keep it aside to cool.
15) Into a pan, pour the pan juices, bones as well as the vegetables and cook gently over low heat for about 45 minutes.
16) Into a bowl, strain the liquid and allow to cool.
17) Allow the liquid to set to a jelly in the fridge before removing any fat that starts to set on the top.
18) Serve the stuffed veal hot along with cold chopped jelly, cucumber in sour cream, sliced tomatoes, romaine lettuce and boiled new potatoes dressed in mayonnaise.
The perfect dessert with the dish can be made by chilling strawberries and blueberries and then packing them in a wide-necked vacuum bottle. This is to be served with Coeur a la Creme.
To complete the meal, served a selection of cheeses, with crackers and butter.