Baked Stuffed Shoulder Of Veal
|Boneless veal shoulder||3 Pound|
|Dry white wine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Stock||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Stock||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Long grain rice||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Watercress||1 Bunch (100 gm)|
|Shelled walnuts||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Watercress||3 (For Garnish)|
1) When purchasing, ask the seller to bone the veal's shoulder and chop off the bones.
2) Preheat oven to temperature of 350 degrees.
3) In a saucepan, put the bones, along with the cleaned and chopped stock vegetables, and add just enough cold water to cover.
4) Add the bouquet garni. Season with salt and black pepper to taste and for about 3 hours, cook this stock. Strain and keep the stock aside.
5) Use a sharp knife to open the cavities into the meat in order to make pockets for the stuffing.
6) Along with the saffron, cook the rice in 2 cups of the reserved veal stock. Cook for about 14 minutes or till the rice is tender.
7) Rinse the watercress and chop it. Also chop the walnuts finely and grate the lemon rind.
8) In some of the butter melted over low heat, cook the bacon till it is crisp. Take the bacon out of the pan, drain it and chop coarsely.
9) In a mixing bowl, put the cooked and drained rice and add the bacon fat from the pan as well as the bacon, watercress, walnuts and the lemon rind.
10) Season with salt and pepper to taste.
11) With a lightly beaten egg, bind the stuffing and spread the stuffing evenly into the veal's pockets.
12) Roll up the meat and tie it with some string.
13) In a roasting pan, put the remaining butter and quickly brown the veal in it.
14) Pour wine all over the veal in the roasting pan and put it in the center of the preheated oven. Cook for about 1 ½ hours. With the wine, baste frequently and if required, add a little stock.
15) On a warmed serving dish, put the cooked veal and take out the string.
16) To the roasting pan, add ½ cup of stock and boil it over high heat till the liquid has turned light brown and has also reduced by about 50%.
17) Into a warm sauceboat, pour the prepared gravy.
18) Serve the sliced veal hot, garnished with watercress sprigs, with the gravy on side. Roasted potatoes or zucchini gratine can also be served on the side if desired.