Braised Veal Chops With Leeks
|Salt pork||1⁄4 Pound|
|Veal loin chops||4 (Each 1/2 Inch Thick)|
|All purpose flour||2 Tablespoon|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Thyme leaves||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
1. Peel and cut carrots into 3-inch-long sticks. Cut roots off leeks. Cut each leek lengthwise into quarters, then crosswise into 3- to 4-inch pieces. Rinse leeks thoroughly in cold water to remove any sand.
2. Cut salt pork into 1/4 inch pieces. In 12-inch skillet over medium heat, cook salt pork pieces until golden brown. With slotted spoon, remove salt pork to small bowl, leaving rendered fat in skillet.
3. Slash fat on edges of veal chops. On waxed paper, coat chops on both sides with flour. Reserve any leftover flour.
4. In 12-inch skillet in salt pork fat, over medium-high heat, cook chops until well browned on both sides, adding salad oil if necessary. Add carrots, leeks, reserved flour, if any, salt pork, water, thyme leaves, pepper, and 1 teaspoon salt; heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer chops 30 minutes or until chops and vegetables are fork-tender, basting chops and vegetables with liquid in skillet occasionally.
5. When chops are done, skim fat from liquid in skillet. Add salt to taste.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 2149 Calories from Fat 1068
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 119 g182.6%
Saturated Fat 33.8 g168.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 457.8 mg152.6%
Sodium 2636.8 mg109.9%
Total Carbohydrates 162 g54%
Dietary Fiber 21.4 g85.8%
Sugars 41.6 g
Protein 111 g222.8%
Vitamin A 893.9% Vitamin C 192.7%
Calcium 57.8% Iron 114%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet