Rolled Stuffed Veal Roast
|Sweet italian sausage/Pork sausage links||3⁄4 Pound (Links)|
|Frozen chopped spinach||10 Ounce, drained (1 Package)|
|Mozzarella cheese||4 Ounce, shredded (1/2 Of 8 Ounce Package)|
|Fennel seeds||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Boneless veal shoulder roast||4 1⁄2 Pound, rolled (1 Whole)|
|Dry white wine||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Brown rice||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Grated lemon peel||1 Tablespoon|
|Bouillon cubes/Envelope||2 (Chicken Flavored)|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Adjust Quantity As Needed)|
|All purpose flour||3 Tablespoon|
1. Remove sausage meat from casing. In heavy 3-quart saucepan, cook meat until browned; cool slightly; stir in 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 tea spoon pepper, and next 3 ingredients.
2. Untie veal shoulder roast; place fat side down on work surface. To make veal evenly thick, with sharp knife held parallel to cutting surface, cut off horizontal slices from thick parts of veal. Press cut-off slices where needed along edges of veal roast to make a rectangle about 12" by 10". Then, if necessary, pound veal with dull edge of French knife or meat mallet to make about 1 inch thick throughout.
3. Spoon sausage mixture onto center. Pull meat up and over stuffing. With heavy needle and heavy-duty thread, sew roast closed; with string, tie at 2-inch intervals.
4. Place meat on rack in open roasting pan. Insert meat thermometer into meat (not stuffing). Pour wine over meat. Roast in 325°F. oven 2 1/2 hours, basting occasionally, until meat is fork-tender and meat thermometer reaches 170°F.
5. About 1 hour before meat is done, prepare rice as label directs but omit salt and add lemon peel and bouillon.
6. When meat is done, remove thread and string; place meat on warm platter. Remove rack from pan. Skim 3 tablespoons fat from drippings into 1-quart saucepan; skim off and discard any remaining fat. Stir pan juices until brown bits are loosened from pan; pour pan juices into 2-cup measure; add enough water to make 2 cups.