|Veal steak/Veal cutlet||1 Pound, thinly sliced|
|Water||2 1⁄4 Cup (36 tbs) (2 Cups Plus 2 Tea Spoons)|
|Grated parmesan cheese||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Fine dry bread crumbs||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Shortening||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Onion||1 Medium, finely chopped|
|Tomato paste||6 Ounce (1 Can)|
|Mozzarella cheese slice||6|
1. Cut veal into 8 pieces; sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt and the pepper.
2. Lightly beat together egg and 2 teaspoons water.
3. Combine Parmesan cheese and bread crumbs.
4. Dip veal in egg wash, then Parmesan mixture. Refrigerate at least 1/2 hour.
5. Brown veal on both sides in shortening in a skillet. Remove to a 1 1/2 quart shallow baking dish.
6. Saute onion in skillet. Stir in tomato paste, 1 teaspoon salt, and basil. Simmer 5 minutes. Pour three fourths of the sauce over veal. Top with moz zarella cheese. Pour remaining sauce over cheese.
7. Bake, uncovered, at 350°F 20 to 25 minutes, or until mixture is bubbly.