Veal Peasant Style
|Olive oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Finely chopped onion||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Finely chopped celery||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Veal||2 Pound, cubed|
|Tomatoes||4 , peeled and coarsely chopped|
|Basil leaves/1/4 teaspoon dried basil leaves||4|
|Beef broth||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Fresh green peas/10 ounce package frozen green peas||1 Pound, shelled|
|Carrots||3 , diced|
|Hot water||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Minced parsley||1 Tablespoon, minced|
1. Heat 2 tablespoons butter and the olive oil in a Dutch oven or large saucepot. Add onion and celery; saute 3 or 4 minutes.
2. Add meat and brown on all sides. Season with 1 teaspoon salt and the pepper. Stir in tomatoes and basil. Cover Dutch oven.
3. Cook at 275°F 1 1/4 hours, or until meat is almost tender. Add broth, a little at a time, during cooking.
4. Heat 2 tablespoons butter in a saucepan. Stir in peas, carrots, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and water. Cook, covered, until vegetables are tender
5. Skim off fat from the meat. Stir in the cooked vegetables and parsley. Continue cooking in oven until meat is tender.
6. Serve meat surrounded with the vegetables and small sauteed potatoes on a heated platter. Pour sauce over all.