Stuffed Shoulder Of Veal
|Salt pork||1 Ounce, cubed|
|Butter||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Onion||1 , chopped|
|Chopped celery||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (With Leaves)|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), crushed|
|Chopped parsley||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Black pepper||To Taste|
|Dried rosemary/Summer savory||1 Teaspoon|
|Soft bread crumbs/Cubes||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Veal shoulder||1 , boned|
|Onion||1 , sliced|
|Heated veal/Chicken broth||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1. Preheat oven to hot (425° F.).
2. Cook the salt pork in two tablespoons of the butter until yellow. Add the onion, celery and garlic and cook until the onion is transparent, stirring often.
3. Add the parsley, salt, pepper and rosemary. Mix well with the bread cubes.
4. Spread the meat out on a board, skin side down. If desired, sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cover with the stuffing and roll. Tie into a neat shape.
5. Place the celery stalk, sprigs of parsley and sliced onion in a roasting pan or Dutch oven and place the meat on the vegetables. Rub the veal with the remaining butter.
6. Roast until the top of the meat is brown, about fifteen minutes. Reduce the heat to moderate (350° F.), add the broth, cover and cook until tender, about two hours longer. Baste often with the drippings in the pan. Fifteen minutes before the meat is done, uncover and baste frequently.
7. Place the meat on a hot platter, strain the drippings and pour over the veal.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 2297 Calories from Fat 1096
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 123 g189.5%
Saturated Fat 58 g290.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 774.5 mg258.2%
Sodium 3281.6 mg136.7%
Total Carbohydrates 126 g42.1%
Dietary Fiber 13.4 g53.8%
Sugars 21.4 g
Protein 164 g328.3%
Vitamin A 59% Vitamin C 71.5%
Calcium 52.6% Iron 56.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet