Pancakes A La CrÃ¨me
|Pancake batter||7 Pint|
|For pastry cream|
|Egg||1 , separated|
|Caster sugar||2 Ounce|
|Vanilla pod piece/Strip of lemon / orange rind||1|
|Icing sugar||2 Tablespoon|
|Almonds||1 Ounce, finely shredded|
1) Make the pancake batter and allow to stand for 30 minutes.
2) For the pastry cream: In a bowl, add egg yolks with 1 oz sugar and beat until white.
3) Mix in the flour, cornflour, and little milk and beat till smooth.
4) In a saucepan, add the remaining milk with the vanilla pod or rind and heat.
5) Add to the egg mixture and place on low, gentle heat, stirring continuously till the liquid boils.
6) In another bowl, whip together the egg white and the rest of the sugar, and when thick mix into the hot custard.
7) Keep the mix warm in a bain-marie.
8) Make paper-thin pancakes, and spread each one with pastry cream.
9) Fold each pancake in three, and arrange on a hot buttered serving dish.
10) Dust the top with icing sugar, then mark on a pattern with red hot skewers (heat several at once).
11) Top with almonds and serve very hot.