Savory Stuffed Turnips
|White turnips||2 Pound (6 large size)|
|Boiling water||2 Cup (32 tbs) (adjust quantity as needed)|
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (1/2 stick)|
|Chopped broccoli||1 Cup (16 tbs) (fresh or frozen)|
|Mushrooms||1⁄4 Pound, washed and chopped|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), crushed|
|Chicken broth||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Chopped parsley||2 Tablespoon|
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Butter a 1 1/2-quart baking dish.
3. To prepare the turnips wash and pare them and cut thin slice off root and stem ends.
4. In large saucepan cook turnips in 1 inch boiling, salted water for 20 to 25 minutes just until tender.
5. Drain and cool slightly.
6. With a spoon, scoop out centers, leaving 1/2-inch shell, finely chop centers and reserve.
7. In 10-inch skillet, heat butter over medium heat and saute broccoli, mushrooms, garlic and 1/2 teaspoon salt, stirring, about 5 minutes.
8. Remove from heat and mix well adding chopped turnip.
9. Spoon into shells dividing evenly.
10. Butter a baking dish, place the turnips and pour around chicken broth.
11. Bake, covered with foil, 20 to 25 minutes until hot and remove from oven.
12. Sprinkle with parsley and serve.