1) Peel the rutabaga thickly, wash and cut into 1 inch chunks.
2) Into a saucepan of lightly salted cold water put the rutabaga and bring to a boil.
3) Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes till tender.
4) Drain thoroughly, then mash well till smooth with two-thirds of the butter.
5) Season to taste.
6) In a warmed serving dish, arrange the rutabaga puree and top with the remaining butter and grind a little pepper over.
7) Serve the rutabaga puree immediately with crispy veggie slices.