|Unsalted butter||5 Tablespoon, melted|
|Bacon drippings||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (from about 6 strips of cooked bacon)|
|All purpose flour||6 Tablespoon|
|Freshly grated parmesan cheese||6 Tablespoon|
|Ground ginger||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Dry mustard||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Freshly ground pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Crumbled thyme||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Crumbled rosemary||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Freshly grated nutmeg||1 Pinch|
|Turnips||1 1⁄2 Pound, peeled and sliced paper thin (medium size)|
1) Preheat the oven to 450°.
2) Use a 9-inch glass pie plate to brush the bottom and sides generously with some of the melted butter. Place aside.
3) In a small bowl, whisk the bacon drippings and rest of the melted butter.
4) In another bowl, add flour, Parmesan cheese, salt, ginger, mustard, pepper, thyme, rosemary and nutmeg to combine.
5) In a small plate, transfer about 1/4 cup of this mixture.
6) Select the most uniform turnip slices and dip each of these into the bacon fat and butter mixture. Then press one side into the seasoned flour on the plate.
7) In the center of the pie plate, place the slices with floured-side up by slightly overlapping. Work out from the center to arrange the slices in concentric rings, to cover the bottom and sides of the pie plate.
8) Repeat this process with all the turnip slices and brush each layer with the bacon fat and butter and scattering a little of the seasoned flour evenly on top.
9) On the shiny side of a 9-inch square of aluminum foil, brush bacon fat and butter. Place the foil on top of the turnips, by keeping buttered side downwards.
10) Use a heavy 8- or 9-inch ovenproof skillet to place on top and press firmly by filling it with pie weights or dried beans.
11) Place in the middle of oven and bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until the bottom and sides are richly browned. You may place a pan on the rack to catch any juices.
12) Remove from the oven, lift off the skillet and peel off the foil.
13) With a thin spatula, carefully loosen the turnip cake around the edges.
14) Allow cooling for 5 minutes, and in a heated serving plate, invert the cake.
15) Cut into 6 or 8 wedges and serve at once.
Calories 324 Calories from Fat 210
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 24 g36.4%
Saturated Fat 13.1 g65.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 49.2 mg16.4%
Sodium 598.7 mg24.9%
Total Carbohydrates 20 g6.7%
Dietary Fiber 2.7 g10.7%
Sugars 4.5 g
Protein 9 g17.1%
Vitamin A 7.9% Vitamin C 40.1%
Calcium 21.2% Iron 8.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet