1. Rinse, and pat the turkey dry using paper towel.
2. Using kitchen shears, cut, and remove the backbone.
3. Turn the turkey breast side up, and cover it with two layers of plastic wrap.
4. Using a rolling pin, hit the turkey breast several times to flatten.
5. Fold, and tuck wings neatly behind its neck. You can also tie drumsticks with twine for your convenience, and to fit in roasting pan.
6. With hands apply butter all over the turkey.
7. Sprinkle salt generously all over and pat to coat evenly.
8. Into a roasting pan place the turkey, and cover it tightly with foil.
9. Preheat oven to 325 degree F.
10. Place the roasting pan in the oven, and bake turkey for about 195 minutes or until the internal temperature when measured with thermometer in breast reaches 160 degree F, and 170 degree F towards the thigh.
11. Lift the foil, and baste turkey with butter occasionally during the roasting time.
12. Remove the foil in the last 30 minutes of roasting.
13. Remove the pan from oven and transfer turkey to a serving platter.
14. Cut turkey into slices, against the grain.
15. Serve roasted turkey hot with fat free gravy.
You can reserve the backbone and use it for preparing stock later.
Season turkey with pepper, if desired.