Cider Brined Holiday Turkey With Pan Gravy And Wild Mushroom
|For the brine:|
|Apple cider||1⁄2 Gallon|
|Apple cider vinegar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Sugar||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Kosher salt||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs) (Soaked in brine and brine discarded)|
|Allspice berries||1 Tablespoon|
|Fresh thyme||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Garlic cloves||4 Medium|
|Bay leaves||3 Medium|
|Sweet onion||2 Medium, chop|
|Ice||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Turkey||5 Pound (Whole bone and turkey breast)|
|Carrots||3 Medium, chop|
|Yellow onions||2 Medium, chop|
|Celery stalks||3 Medium, chop|
|Sage||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Fresh parsley||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Chicken stock||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Unsalted butter||1 Tablespoon|
|Cracked black pepper||1 Pinch|
|For the gravy:|
|Roux||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (equal parts of butter and flour cooked together)|
|Sage||1 Tablespoon, julienned|
|Fresh thyme||1 Tablespoon, mince|
|Kosher salt||1 Pinch|
|Cracked pepper||1 Pinch|
|For the green bean casserole:|
|Bacon strips||6 Medium, dice|
|Baby portobello mushrooms||2 Cup (32 tbs), slice|
|Green beans||1 Pound, trimmed|
|Pearl onions||1 Cup (16 tbs), peeled|
|Heavy cream||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Panko bread crumbs||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. For the Brine: In a large pot, add apple cider, apple cider vinegar, sugar, kosher salt, allspice berries, peppercorns, fresh thyme, garlic, bay leaves and sweet onions and bring to a boil.
3. Once combined, completely cool the mix.
4. Wash the turkey thoroughly and place in a large plastic bag or brining bag and pour in the chilled brine and ice.
5. Seal tight and place the brined turkey in the refrigerator for 12 to 24 hours.
6. After the brining period is over, remove the turkey from the brine, rinse well and pat completely dry.
7. Once dry, rub the turkey with butter and lightly season with salt and pepper on all sides.
8. Place the turkey breast side down on a rack in a pan surrounded with roughly chopped carrots, celery, onions, herbs and chicken stock.
9. Place the pan in the oven on 375° for 1 1/2 hours.
10. After 1 1/2 hours, flip the turkey over so it is breast side up.
11. Continue cooking in the oven another for 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until golden brown and cooked through out.
12. For the Gravy: Once the turkey is cooked, remove it from the pan and strain the pan drippings into a medium sized pot and bring to a boil.
13. Once boiling, add in the roux until it becomes thick.
14. Add fresh sage, fresh thyme, salt and pepper and keep warm.
15. For the Green Bean Casserole: In a cast iron skillet on high heat, add in bacon and cook until crispy.
16. Once cooked, remove the bacon and add in the mushrooms and onions and caramelize.
17. Once brown, add in green beans and saute for 4 to 6 minutes.
18. Deglaze with cream and cook until it becomes thick.
19. Add back in the bacon and stir.
20. Season with salt and pepper and top off with panko bread crumbs.
21. Place the skillet in the oven and cook for 15 to 20 minutes on 375°.
22. Carve or leave the turkey whole and serve along side the green bean casserole and turkey pan gravy.