TG Churckey 2011
|Turkey||15 17⁄20 Pound|
|Butter and jalapeno marinade||24 Fluid Ounce|
|Olive oil||2 Tablespoon (For greasing)|
|Cajun seasoning||3 Tablespoon|
1. Remove the neck and giblets from the turkey and reserve in the refrigerator for the gravy. Rinse the turkey inside and out with cold water.
2. Using syringes, inject the marinade into the turkey from all different angles until it is drunk.
3. Drizzle and rub it all over with olive oil.
4. Dust the bird with the Cajun seasoning.
5. Truss the bird and skewer the hanger rod through it.
6. Place the turkey, breast side down, in the foil pan.
7. Set aside for 8 to 10 hours.
8. Fill a chimney starter to the rim with charcoal and burn the coals until the are lightly covered with ash. Spread the coals in a half circle or crescent-shaped fire on one side of the charcoal grate. Carefully place a large, disposable drip pan in the center of the charcoal grate and fill it about halfway with warm water. This will help to maintain the temperature of the fire. Put the cooking grate in place, close the lid, and let the coals burn down to low heat (225°F). Keep all the vents open. Add hickory or pecan wood chunks or chips to the charcoal.
9. Position the pan so the turkey legs face the charcoal. Cook the turkey over indirect low heat, with the lid closed, for 3 hours.
10. Carefully turn the turkey so the breast faces up. Continue to cook the turkey over indirect low heat, with the lid closed.
11. Baste the turkey with the juices in the pan or with leftover marinade. Continue to cook the turkey over indirect low heat. The total cooking time will be 10 to 12 hours. The turkey is done when the internal temperature reaches 160° to 165°F in the thickest part of the thigh (not touching the bone).
12. Remove the hanger and transfer the turkey to a cutting board, loosely cover with foil, and let rest for 20 to 30 minutes before carving (the internal temperature will rise 5 to 10 degrees during this time). Save the pan juices to make the gravy if you want.
13. Carve the turkey. Serve warm with gravy.
Calories 585 Calories from Fat 371
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 41 g63.3%
Saturated Fat 8.4 g41.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 172.5 mg57.5%
Sodium 180 mg7.5%
Total Carbohydrates 1 g0.4%
Dietary Fiber 0.23 g0.91%
Sugars 0.7 g
Protein 49 g98%
Vitamin A 1.7% Vitamin C 1.1%
Calcium 3.6% Iron 17%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet