Stuffed Turkey Breast
|Unsalted butter||4 Ounce (1/2 cup / 125 gram)|
|Finely chopped celery||2 1⁄2 Ounce (1/2 cup / 75 gram)|
|Finely chopped onion||2 1⁄2 Ounce (1/2 cup / 75 gram)|
|Fresh white bread crumbs||6 Ounce (6 ounce /185 gram)|
|Dried thyme||1 Teaspoon|
|Dried sage||1 Teaspoon|
|Raisins||2 Ounce (1/3 cup / 60 gram)|
|Walnuts||1 1⁄2 Ounce (1/3 cup / 45 gram)|
|Freshly ground pepper||To Taste|
|Chicken stock/Turkey stock||2 Fluid Ounce (1/4 cup / 60 milliliter, adjust quantity as needed)|
|Turkey breast||8 Pound, boned and butterflied, with skin intact (1 piece, 4 kilogram)|
|Vegetable oil||2 Tablespoon|
1. Melt butter in a frying pan
2. Add the celery and the onion to the pan and cook them till they are soft and cooked through. Transfer the mixture to a large bowl and then add the bread crumbs, thyme, sage, raisins and walnuts to the bowl. Mix well
3. Transfer this mixture to larger bowl and season to taste with salt and pepper. The mixture should be moist and clingy but not wet. If its too dry add the stock to the bowl and mix well again
4. In a large pan of water, soak the 3 handfuls (about 5 oz/155 g) hickory chips or oak chips till they are completely moist. Prepare a fire for indirect-heat cooking in a covered grill.
5. Prepare the turkey breast by placing them skin side down on a work surface to make two flat flaps of meat.
6. Season the cuts with salt and pepper and spread the stuffing on top of the meat flaps. Fold the other flap of meat over it and tie the two flaps together with butcher-€™s twine or linens sting. Ensure that the meat is tied together in at least four or five places.
7. Rub the roll with oil, salt and pepper.
8. Position an oiled grill rack 4-6 inches from the heat and then place the rolled breast on top of the tray. Cover the grill and open the vents halfway.
9. Drop the chips on top of the flame and cook the meat for one hour turning twice to ensure that the meat is cooked. Raise the temperature of the oven by dropping more chips on top of the flame and add more coals if necessary. Cook the meat for 45 minutes-1 hour longer. When the meat thermometer registers 170°F (80°C) the meat is cooked.
10. Remove the meat from the oven, cover it with foil and let it rest for 10 minutes.
11. Remove the strings and cut into slices.
12. Serve with barbeque sauce, mashed potatoes and a fresh salad.