Southern Style Turkey Scallops
|Boneless skinless turkey breasts||1 1⁄2 Pound (2 Breast Halves)|
|Fresh bread crumbs||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Yellow cornmeal||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Finely chopped pecans||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Orange||1 , finely grated zest|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), finely chopped|
|All purpose flour||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Olive oil/Canola oil||3 Tablespoon|
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. Trim off excess fat using a sharp meat knife or kitchen scissors.
3. Carefully slice the breasts into serving size pieces.
4. Place each between sheets of wax paper and pound thin using a mallet or meat hammer.
5. In a shallow dish, lightly whisk the egg whites until foamy.
6. On a plate or sheet of wax paper, combine, season and flavor the bread crumbs with the cornmeal, pecans, orange zest, garlic, salt, and pepper. Spread out evenly.
7. To bread the turkey scallops work dust each first with the flour.
8. Dip the floured turkey slices in the egg whites and coat evenly on both sides. Lift and allow excess egg to drip back into the bowl
9. Place in the seasoned bread crumbs, sprinkling and pressing the bread crumbs onto the flesh with your fingers to get an even layer coating.
10. Place on a platter and coat the remaining pieces in the same manner.
11. In a large ovenproof skillet, heat the oil over moderate heat until it sizzles when a few bread crumbs are added.
12. Arrange 1/4 of the turkey pieces and fry for about 2 minutes each side until well browned.
13. Transfer the fried pieces to a baking sheet and brown the remaining.
14. Place the baking sheet in the oven and bake turkey scallops for about 5-10 minutes, until turkey is tender inside and crisp on the outside.
15. Serve the crispy oven fried turkey scallops with or without a sauce and a green salad of your choice.
Calories 326 Calories from Fat 111
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 13 g19.5%
Saturated Fat 1.7 g8.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 234.6 mg9.8%
Total Carbohydrates 22 g7.3%
Dietary Fiber 2.3 g9.3%
Sugars 3.1 g
Protein 32 g63.8%
Vitamin A 1.2% Vitamin C 20.4%
Calcium 2.9% Iron 6.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet