Turkey And Dressing, California Style
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Softened butter/Margarine / salad oil||4 Tablespoon|
|Cornbread stuffing mix/Chicken-flavor stuffing mix||12 Ounce (2 Packages Of 6 Ounce Each)|
|Water||3 1⁄2 Cup (56 tbs)|
|Butter/Margarine||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Chopped onion||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Chopped celery||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Chopped peeled tart apple||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Minced fresh parsley||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
1. Season inside cavity and outside of turkey with salt and pepper.
2. Seal cavity with skewer or stitch with needle and thread, truss and tie wings and drumsticks to bird.
3. Place turkey, breast-side up, on rack in shallow pan. Set aside until ready to roast.
4. Preheat the oven to 325° F
5. Place turkey on a roasting rack over pan and glaze the turkey skin generously with butter.
6. Insert meat thermometer if you have one, in center of inside thigh or thickest part of breast.
7. Slow-roast the turkey in the preheated oven for 4 1/2 to 5 hours, basting the bird occasionally with pan drippings, until internal temperature of meat is about 180 to 185° F or juices run clean when knife is inserted in tight portion.
8. Rest the bird after roasting for 10 minutes once out of the oven
9. While turkey is roasting, make dressing. Remove vegetable seasoning packets from stuffing mix.
10. In a large saucepan combine seasoning mix, water and 1/4 cup butter.
11. Heat to simmering point then cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
12. At the same time, in a skillet, melt remaining butter.
13. Add and sauté onion, celery and apple for 10 minutes until soft.
14. Stir into the season mix liquid along with stuffing crumbs and parsley.
15. Turn into a greased 2-quart casserole dish, cover and place in oven during last 30 minutes or roasting turkey. Bake with cover for 20 minutes and without covering for 10 minutes.
16. Place the roasted bird on a large serving platter.
17. Carve the bird and serve with the cornbread dressing on the side.