Roast Turkey with Tarragon Cream Sauce
|Turkey||12 Pound, rinsed and patted dry (1 Bird)|
|Onion||1 , chopped|
|Low sodium soy sauce||2 Tablespoon|
|Virgin olive oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Light cream||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Fresh tarragon/1/4 cup chopped watercress||2 Teaspoon|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Cornstarch||1 Tablespoon, mixed with 2 tablespoon water|
1. Season the turkey inside out with 1/4 teaspoon of salt.
2. Stuff the cavity of the bird with chopped onion.
3. Truss the bird with string and tuck the wing tips under the bird.
4. Use aluminum foil to cover the wings and the ends of the drumsticks.
5. In a small mixing bowl, using a fork, whisk the soy sauce, oil and paprika.
6. Use a basting brush to brush the underside of the turkey with half of this sauce.
7. In an oven proof, zip lock cooking bag, place the turkey.
8. Close the bag, leaving a tiny opening to allow steam to escape.
9. In a large rectangular microwavable dish place the turkey in the bag, breast side down.
10. Place the dish in the microwave and cook on HIGH for 15 minutes.
11. Turn the dish half a turn and let the bird cook on HIGH for another15 minutes.
12. Remove the turkey from the microwave.
13. Into a small saucepan, pour the juices accumulated in the bag and set it aside to make the sauce later.
14. Remove the foil covering the wings and drumsticks.
15. Turn the turkey, breast side up and brush the wings and breast with the remaining soy sauce mixture.
16. Close the bag once more and microwave the turkey on HIGH for 15 minutes.
17. Rotate the dish half a turn and cook on HIGH for a final 15 minutes.
18. Remove the bird from the oven and allow it to rest for 20 minutes, then test for doneness by piercing a thigh with the tip of a sharp knife. If not tender, microwave to another 10 minutes.
19. Pour the additional roasting juices into the saucepan with the reserved juices.
20. Spoon as much fat as possible from the surface of the reserved roasting juices; there should be about 2 cups. If not add water.
21. Place the saucepan on a medium flame and bring the liquid to a boil for 5-10 minutes until reduced to 1 1/2 cups.
22. Stir in the cream, the tarragon or watercress and salt and pepper to taste.
23. Whisk the cornstarch mixture into the sauce and allow the sauce to thicken, stirring continuously.
24. Pour the sauce into a sauceboat.
25. Carve the turkey on a meat carving board with a carving knife and arrange pieces of a platter. Garnish with watercress if desired.
26. Serve turkey accompanied with the sauce at the table.
Calories 2260 Calories from Fat 1031
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 114 g176.1%
Saturated Fat 34.7 g173.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 1013 mg337.7%
Sodium 1334.6 mg55.6%
Total Carbohydrates 10 g3.2%
Dietary Fiber 1.3 g5.3%
Sugars 1.6 g
Protein 280 g560.2%
Vitamin A 23.3% Vitamin C 8.2%
Calcium 26.5% Iron 103.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet