Festive Smoked Turkey
|Smoking chips||4 Ounce (1 cup / 125 gram)|
|Brandy||4 Fluid Ounce (1/2 cup / 125 milliliter)|
|Turkey||6 Pound, neck and giblets removed, trimmed of excess fat (3 kilogram)|
|Chicken stock||4 Fluid Ounce (1/2 cup/125 milliliter)|
|Vegetable oil||2 Tablespoon|
|For sage and rice stuffing|
|Butter||2 Ounce (60 gram)|
|Leek||1 , thinly sliced|
|Spring onions||4 , chopped|
|Bacon rashers||3 , chopped|
|Breadcrumbs||2 Ounce, made from stale bread (1 cup / 60 gram)|
|Pecans||2 Ounce, chopped (60 gram)|
|Chopped fresh sage/1 teaspoon dried sage||2 Tablespoon|
|Rice||9 Ounce, cooked (1 1/2 cups/280 gram)|
1. Soak smoking chips in brandy in a non-reactive metal dish for 1 hour.
2. To make stuffing, melt butter in a frying pan over a medium heat, add leek and spring onions and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Add bacon and cook for 5 minutes longer. Add breadcrumbs, pecans and sage and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until breadcrumbs are crisp. Remove from heat, add rice and mix to combine.
3. Preheat covered barbecue to a medium heat. Place dish, with smoking chips in, in barbecue over hot coals, cover barbecue with lid and heat for 5-10 minutes or until liquid is hot.
4. Spoon stuffing into body cavity of turkey. Secure openings with metal or bamboo skewers. Tuck wings under body and tie legs together. Place turkey on a wire rack set in a roasting tin. Combine stock and oil and brush over turkey.
5. Position roasting tin containing turkey on rack in barbecue, cover barbecue with lid and smoke, basting frequently, for 2 1/2-3 hours or until turkey is cooked.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 6934 Calories from Fat 2974
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 335 g515%
Saturated Fat 98.9 g494.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 2084.9 mg695%
Sodium 2484.9 mg103.5%
Total Carbohydrates 276 g92.1%
Dietary Fiber 15.1 g60.5%
Sugars 16.4 g
Protein 604 g1207.7%
Vitamin A 130.2% Vitamin C 68.9%
Calcium 78.4% Iron 254.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet