Three Spice Turkey
|Turkey||20 Pound (whole)|
|Brown sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs) (firmly packed)|
|Salt||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (Soaked in brine and brine discarded)|
|Ground cumin||3 Tablespoon|
|Ground cinnamon||1 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
1. Remove and discard leg truss from turkey. Pull off and discard lumps of fat. Remove giblets and neck (reserve for other uses). Rinse bird well and pierce all over with a fork.
2. In a bowl or pan (at least 12 qt.), combine 3 quarts water, brown sugar, salt, cumin, pepper, and cinnamon. Stir until sugar and salt are dissolved. Add turkey, cover, and chill for 4 hours, turning bird over occasionally.
3. Lift turkey from brine and rinse thoroughly under cold running water, rubbing gently to release salt; pat dry with towels. Discard brine. Insert a meat thermometer straight down through the thickest part of the turkey breast to the bone.
4. On a charcoal barbecue (20 to 22 in. wide) with a lid, mound and ignite 60 charcoal briquets on firegrate. When coals are spotted with gray ash, in about 20 minutes, push equal portions to opposite sides of firegrate. Place a foil drip pan between mounds of coals. To each mound, add 5 briquets now and every 30 minutes during cooking. Set grill in place. Set turkey, breast up, on grill over drip pan. Cover barbecue and open vents. On a gas barbecue (with at least 11 in. between indirect-heat burners), turn heat to high, close lid, and heat for about 10 minutes. Adjust gas for indirect cooking (heat parallel to sides of bird and not beneath) and set a metal or foil drip pan in center (not over direct heat). Set grill in place. Set turkey, breast up, on grill over drip pan. Close barbecue lid. If edges of turkey close to heat begin to get too dark, slide folded Strips of foil between bird and grill. Fat in drippings may flare when barbecue lid is opened; quench by pouring a little water into the pan.
In an oven, place turkey, breast up, on a V-shaped rack in a 12- by 17-inch roasting pan (or one that is at least 2 in. longer and wider than the bird). Roast in a 325° or 350° oven, depending on size of bird; see chart on page 266.
5. Cook turkey until thermometer reaches 160°, 2 to 3 hours; start checking after 1 hour.
6. Drain juices from cavity into drippings and reserve for gravy. Transfer turkey to a platter; let rest 15 to 30 minutes before carving.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 14916 Calories from Fat 6141
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 680 g1046.6%
Saturated Fat 190.6 g953%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 6531.5 mg2177.2%
Sodium 6622.9 mg276%
Total Carbohydrates 234 g78%
Dietary Fiber 13.4 g53.6%
Sugars 202 g
Protein 1858 g3715.2%
Vitamin A 14% Vitamin C 1.4%
Calcium 181.5% Iron 719.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet