Galantine Of Turkey
|Turkey||15 Pound (1 Whole)|
|Lean veal||1 Pound, ground|
|Lean pork||1 Pound, ground|
|Salt pork||1 Pound, cubed|
|Cognac/Sherry wine||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Heavy cream||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Black pepper||To Taste|
|Chopped tarragon||1 Tablespoon|
|Unsalted fatback||1⁄2 Pound, cut into strips|
|Cooked tongue||1⁄2 Pound, cut into strips|
|Truffles||2 , sliced|
|Pistachio nuts||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
1. Bone the turkey or have it boned by the butcher. Using a sharp knife and fingers, remove all the meat from the skin to leave a shell. Reserve meat and the shell. Make a rich broth with bones.
2. Cut the meat from the drumsticks and the breast into one-third-inch cubes. Grind together the remaining meat from the turkey, the vealand lean pork. Combine this meat mixture with the salt pork, cognac or sherry, cream and seasonings.
3. Lay the turkey-skin shell, outside down, on a flat surface and spread with the seasoned mixture. Top with alternate rows of fatback, tongue, truffles and diced turkey. Sprinkle with pistachios.
4. Draw the edges of the skin together to form a sausagelike roll and carefully sew the edges of the skin.
5. Generously butter a large piece of clean linen or several layers of cheesecloth and place the galantine on it. Roll it tightly and tie at both ends and in the middle. The roll should be smooth and even.
6. Place the roll in a large kettle and add the vegetables and enough broth to cover.
7. Cover, bring to a boil and simmer gently about one and one-half hours. Let the galantine cool in the liquid. Remove it from the broth.
8. Unroll the galantine and reroll it in a clean cloth. Weight it down with a heavy plate for two hours or more, then remove the cloth. Remove the thread with which the galantine was sewed. The galantine may be decorated with a sauce chaud froid and a clear aspic or it may be glazed merely with an aspic made from the broth in which the turkey was cooked.
Calories 393 Calories from Fat 227
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 25 g39%
Saturated Fat 8.6 g43%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 144.8 mg48.3%
Sodium 681 mg28.4%
Total Carbohydrates 1 g0.5%
Dietary Fiber 0.44 g1.7%
Sugars 0.3 g
Protein 37 g74%
Vitamin A 11.2% Vitamin C 1.2%
Calcium 3.6% Iron 14.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet