Roast Turkey With Cooked Giblets
|Ready to cook turkey||20 Pound (1 Whole)|
|Cooked giblets||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Broth||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Herbed stuffing||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Melted fat||1 Cup (16 tbs), melted|
|Turkey roasting pan gravy||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1. Rinse bird with cold water. Drain and pat dry with absorbent paper or soft cloth.
2. Prepare Cooked Giblets and Broth for gravy.
3. Prepare Herbed Stuffing.
4. Rub body and neck cavities with salt. Fill lightly with stuffing. (Extra stuffing may be put into a greased covered baking dish or wrapped in aluminum foil and baked with turkey the last hour of roasting time.)
5. Fasten neck skin to back with skewer and bring wing tips onto back. Push drumsticks under band of skin at tail, or tie with cord. Set, breast up, on rack in shallow roasting pan. Brush with melted fat.
6. If meat thermometer is used, place it in center of inside thigh muscle or thickest part of breast meat. Be sure that tip does not touch bone. If desired, cover top and sides of turkey with cheesecloth moistened with melted fat. Keep cloth moist during roasting by brushing occasionally with fat from the bottom of pan.
7. Roast, uncovered, at 325Â°F until turkey tests done (the thickest part of the drumstick feels soft when pressed with fingers and meat thermometer registers 180Â° to 185Â°F). See Timetable for Roasting Turkey. When turkey is two thirds done, cut band of skin or cord at drumsticks.
8. For easier carving, let turkey stand 20 to 30 minutes, keeping it warm. Meanwhile, prepare Turkey Roasting Pan Gravy from drippings.
9. Remove cord and skewers from turkey and place turkey on heated platter. Garnish platter, if desired.
Calories 343 Calories from Fat 162
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 18 g28%
Saturated Fat 5.2 g25.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 145.6 mg48.5%
Sodium 227 mg9.5%
Total Carbohydrates 4 g1.2%
Dietary Fiber 0.31 g1.2%
Sugars 0.2 g
Protein 39 g77.1%
Vitamin A 9.5% Vitamin C 1.1%
Calcium 4.3% Iron 16.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet