Braised Trout Brook Or Rainbow
|Trout||1 1⁄2 Pound (2 Trout About 3/4 Pound Each)|
|Ground mace||1 Pinch|
|Ground nutmeg||1 Pinch|
|Cayenne pepper||1 Dash|
|Chicken stock||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Lemon rind strip||1|
|Dry white wine||1⁄2 Tablespoon|
1. Clean the fish, removing heads, tails and fins. Rinse and dry.
2. Melt the butter or margarine in a heavy skillet which will hold the fish laid flat.
3. Stir the flour and spices into the hot fat.
4. Add the fish, raise the heat and color fish on both sides.
5. Add the chicken stock, herbs, lemon rind strip and wine.
6. Allow to heat to simmering point. Then reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes until the fish are cooked through but not soft. The time will depend on their thickness.
7. Lift the fish out of the skillet onto a warmed serving dish. Keep warm.
8. Skim all the fat off the liquid in the skillet. Taste, then boil down rapidly to the strength of flavour you prefer if required.
9. Strain the hot liquid over the fish just before serving.