Baked Stuffed Lake Trout
|White fish/Very fresh lake trout / pickerel||4 Pound, cleaned (2 Pieces, About 2 Pound Each)|
|Lemon||1⁄2 Large, rind grated and juice extracted|
|Fine soft bread crumbs||4 1⁄2 Cup (72 tbs)|
|Chopped green onions||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Freshly ground pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Finely chopped parsley||1 Tablespoon|
|Chopped fresh basil/1/2 teaspoon dried crushed basil||1 Teaspoon|
|For fish coating:|
|Soft butter||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Lemon||1 , thinly sliced|
1. Wipe the fish inside and out with a damp cloth.
2. Sprinkle the cavities with about 1 tsp lemon juice.
3. Reserve the rest of the juice.
4. To prepare the dressing, place the bread crumbs in a large bowl.
5. Add the grated lemon rind.
6. Melt the butter in a frying pan over moderate heat.
7. Saute the onions until transparent, 3-4 minutes.
8. Mix in the salt, pepper, parsley, and basil.
9. Cook 2 minutes.
10. Pour the butter mixture over the crumbs and lemon rind.
11. Toss well to blend the flavours.
12. Divide the dressing into 2 parts.
13. Stuff each fish with 1/2 the dressing.
14. Close the sides together, press toothpicks through both sides, and lace up each fish with heavy thread.
15. Smear the fish all over with the soft butter.
16. Lay in a large, shallow roasting pan.
17. Sprinkle with the remaining lemon juice.
18. Bake for 10 minutes per pound plus 10 extra minutes).
19. Baste with accumulated pan juices after 10 minutes.
20. After the first 15 minutes of cooking, sprinkle each fish with the flour and the rest of the salt and pepper.
21. Return the fish to the oven.
22. Wait 5 minutes.
23. Baste to set the crust.
24. Return to oven for 10 minutes.
25. Remove fish to a heated platter.
26. Take out the thread and toothpicks.
27. Pour any pan juices around the fish.
28. Garnish with parsley and lemon slices.
29. Serve immediately.