Sherry or Brandy or Rum- 1/2 cup
Raspberry or Red Currant Preserves- 8 oz.
Almonds- 1/2 cup slivered, toasted
Whipping Cream- 1 pint, whipped
Sponge Cake- 1 cut into 3 layers horizontally
Lady Fingers- 12 nos.
1) Place 1 part of the sponge cake in a large compote dish.
2) Sprinkle 1/3 of liquor over the sponge and spread1/2 of the preserves over the cake.
3) Smear ½ of the custard over the preserves to make a layer, let the custard flow round the sides of the sponge.
4) Put the second layer on the custard and repeat the same method for the second layer of sponge.
5) Place the third layer of sponge over the second layer.
6) Sprinkle the third layer with the remaining liquor.
7) Stand the lady fingers around the sides, lining the outer rim of the cake.
8) Spread the top layer of the sponge with whipped cream.
9) Lightly place fresh raspberries in the cream.
10) Dredge the top with toasted almonds
11) Place in the refrigerator, until chilled.
12) Slice into wedges and serve chilled.