|Sponge cake/Pieces of stale sponge cake / cake trimmings||4|
|Apricot jam||1 Tablespoon|
|Raspberry jam||1 Tablespoon|
|Fruit juice/Cooking sherry||1⁄4 Pint|
|Almonds/Cashew nuts||1 Ounce|
|Ratafia biscuits/Macaroons||2 Ounce|
|Thick custard||1⁄2 Pint|
|Thick cream||1⁄2 Pint|
|Cherry||1 Tablespoon (For Decoration)|
|Angelica||1 Tablespoon (For Decoration)|
1. Split the cakes into layers and cover one side of each layer with jam. Use apricot and raspberry jam alternately on the cake layers.
2. Cut these cake pieces into small pieces and then place them neatly in a glass trifle dish. Pour the fruit syrup and the sherry over the cake pieces and leave to soak for ½ hours
3. Bland the almonds and then chop them roughly.
4. Break or crush the ratafia biscuits and place both the nuts and the biscuits on top of the sponge cake layers
5. Pour the hot custard on top of the cake pieces and set aside to chill
6. Whip the cream in a large bowl and add castor sugar to the pan. Add four or five drops of vanilla essence to the pan and mix well. Whip this mix till you have smooth soft peaks.
7. Put this mix into a piping bag with a vegetable forcer at the end and pipe the cream so that is completely covers the custard in the dish.
8. Decorate with the rest of the ratafia biscuits and neatly cut cherries and angelica and serve chilled and cold