Angel Berry Trifle
|Angel food cake:|
|Cake flour||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Superfine sugar||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Egg whites||6 Large (At Room Temperature)|
|Cream of tartar||1⁄2 Teaspoon (Angel Food Cake:)|
|Salt||1⁄8 Teaspoon (Angel Food Cake:)|
|Pure vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon (Angel Food Cake:)|
|Cream/Other sweet sherry||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Basic pastry cream||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs), chilled|
|Creme fraiche||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Mixed berry mash:|
|Strawberries||6 Cup (96 tbs), fresh, halved or whole|
|Mixed berries||3 Cup (48 tbs) (Such As Blueberries, Raspberries, Or Blackberries)|
|Granulated sugar||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Heavy cream/Whipping cream||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Confectioners sugar||2 Teaspoon|
|Mixed berries||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (For Garnish)|
1) Preheat the oven to 300°F.
2) Brush the sides of a 10/4 x 5/4-inch sheet pan with oil or butter, then line the pan with waxed or parchment paper, hang the edges slightly and press the paper down into the corners.
3) Sift the flour twice and keep aside. Then sift the sugar, return 1/2 the sugar (6 tablespoons) to the measuring cup.
4) In a bowl, beat the egg whites at low speed with an electric mixer until foamy. Add the cream of tartar and salt and beat at medium speed until soft peaks form.
5) Gradually increase the speed of the mixer, gradually sprinkle in 1/2 the sugar 1 tablespoon at a time and beat after each addition, until combined. Then fold in rest of the sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time .
6) Add the flour, sifting a few tablespoons over the mixture at a time and gently folding it in, then fold in the vanilla.
7) Pour the batter into the prepared sheet pan and tilt to spread evenly. Bake in the preheated oven for about 30 minutes, then cool on a wire rack and peel off the waxed paper.
8) In a large bowl, cut the cake into 1-inch cubes , sprinkle with the sherry and toss well.
9) In a bowl, whisk the basic pastry cream until just smooth.
10) In another bowl, place the creme fraiche and whisk until it holds soft peaks. Fold the creme fraiche into the pastry cream and refrigerate covered until required.
11) In a large saucepan, stir the strawberries, blueberries if using, and sugar. Cook over a medium-high heat for 2 to 3 minutes until the sugar dissolves, stirring occasionally.
12) Add raspberries or blackberries, stir gently and cook for another 1 minute just until they soften but do not fall apart. Turn off the heat and drain the berries, reserve the syrup.
13) In a 10-cup glass bowl, place half the cake cubes at the bottom. Spoon 1/2 the drained mixed berries over the top and drizzle with 1/2 cup of the berry syrup.
14) Cover with 1/2 the trifle cream. Repeat this procedure once again., then refrigerate overnight or up to 24 hours.
15) Whip the heavy cream with the confectioners' sugar until it holds its shape. Spread a layer of the whipped cream over the trifle or pipe a decorative border or rosettes with a pastry bag.
16) Garnish with fresh berries and serve with the berry syrup in a small sauceboat alongside.
Calories 545 Calories from Fat 80
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 9 g13.7%
Saturated Fat 3 g14.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 16.9 mg5.6%
Sodium 965.9 mg40.2%
Total Carbohydrates 115 g38.2%
Dietary Fiber 5 g19.9%
Sugars 86.6 g
Protein 5 g10.3%
Vitamin A 4% Vitamin C 119%
Calcium 5.1% Iron 2.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet