Texas Style Chili with Corn Bread Dumplings
|Beef round steak||2 1⁄2 Pound, trimmed, cut into 1/2 inch cubes|
|Onions||1 Cup (16 tbs), chopped|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), finely chopped|
|Oregano leaves||1 Tablespoon|
|Canned tomatoes||16 Ounce, undrained (2 cups)|
|Tomato sauce||15 Ounce (1 can)|
|Beer/Beef broth||12 Ounce (1 can)|
|Serrano chili peppers||2 , seeded, finely chopped|
|Jalapeno chili peppers||2 , seeded, finely chopped|
|All purpose flour/Unbleached flour||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (Pillsbury's BEST)|
|Cornmeal||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Baking powder||2 Teaspoon|
|Milk||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1. In a 5-quart Dutch oven, heat oil and brown meat with onion, garlic, cumin, oregano, paprika and cinnamon.
2. Add remaining chili ingredients.
3. Stir well and bring to boil.
4. Decrease heat and simmer for 1 1/2 hours until meat is cooked.
5. For the dumplings, lightly spoon flour into measuring cup and level off.
6. In a medium bowl mix flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt. Mix together.
7. Stir in milk and oil and mix until moistened.
8. Bring to boil.
9. On the bubbling chili drop dumpling dough by rounded tablespoonfuls.
10. Decrease heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
11. Serve hot.