Pennsylvania Pepper Relish
|Chopped white cabbage||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Chopped green bell peppers||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Chopped red bell peppers||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Finely chopped celery||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Distilled white vinegar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Dark brown sugar||3 Tablespoon|
|Mustard seeds||2 Tablespoon|
1. In a deep heatproof bowl combine the cabbage, green and red peppers, celery and salt and mix well with a wooden spoon.
2. Transfer the vegetables to a colander and stand the colander in the bowl.
3. With foil or plastic wrap cover the colander, set aside at room temperature for 12 hours to allow the excess moisture to drain off.
4. Discard the liquid and return the vegetables to the bowl.
5. In a small enameled or stainless-steel saucepan, bring the vinegar, water, brown sugar and mustard seeds to a boil over high heat, stirring until the sugar dissolves completely.
6. Pour the hot vinegar mixture over the vegetables and turn them about with a spoon until they are evenly moistened.
7. Cool to room temperature and serve the pepper relish at once.
8. Alternately cool, cover with foil, and refrigerate the relish until ready to serve.