Texas Style Beans
Salt pork - 1/4 pound, diced
Onion - 1 cup, chopped
Garlic - 1 clove, minced
Salt - 2 teaspoons
Pepper - A dash
Tomatoes - 2 cand of 16 ounces each
Green pepper - 3/4 cup, diced
Sugar - 1 tablespoon
Bottled hot pepper sauce - 6 drops
1) In a 2-quart casserole or bean pot, add the beans and cover with water. Soak overnight.
2) Do not drain the beans the next day.
3) To the beans, add the onion, salt pork, garlic, salt and pepper.
4) Mix well, cover and gently simmer for about 2 hours.
5) Add the green pepper, tomatoes, sugar and hot pepper sauce.
6) Cover again and simmer for another 3 hours.
7) Transfer the hot, cooked Texas Style Beans to a serving bowl and serve while still hot. Goes well with breads and makes a good side dish.