California Walnut Pie
|For 9 inch pie crust|
|All purpose flour||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs), sifted|
|Shortening||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|For walnut filling|
|Packed brown sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|All purpose flour||2 Tablespoon|
|Light corn syrup||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs)|
|Vanilla||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Walnut halves||1 Cup (16 tbs) (and large pieces)|
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Into a bowl, using a sieve, shift together flour and salt.
3. Add shortening and using a pastry blender, cut shortening until it is broken to the size of small peas.
4. Gradually add milk, sprinkle 1 tablespoon milk at a time all over the flour mixture and using a fork toss gently.
5. Push the moistened flour to the sides and sprinkle another 1 tablespoon of milk; repeat the process until all the flour is moistened.
6. Press the mixture with hands to form a dough.
7. Lightly flour a clean surface and roll out the dough into a 1/8 inch thick circle.
8. Line a 9 inch pie plate with one of the pie shells and bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes until it is lightly browned and firm.
9. In a saucepan, mix flour and brown sugar.
10. Add salt, butter and corn syrup.
11. Over very low heat, warm the saucepan and stir occasionally just until the butter melts.
12. In another large bowl, beat eggs and vanilla until well combined.
13. Add the brown sugar mixture and stir to mix.
14. Into the baked pie shell, pour the filling mixture and sprinkle walnuts on top.
15. Place the pie on the lower rack and bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 40 to 45 minutes until filling is set at the centre.
16. Let the pie cool down.
17. Cut and serve California Walnut Pie with a dollop of ice-cream.