California Scalloped Potatoes
|Unsalted butter||5 Tablespoon, softened|
|Baking potatoes||4 Medium|
|Shredded monterey jack cheese||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Shredded sharp cheddar cheese||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|All purpose flour||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Freshly ground black pepper||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Canned mild green chilies||8 Ounce, rinsed, drained and cut into 1 inch squares (2 cans, 4 ounces each, whole)|
|Milk||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs)|
1) Preheat the oven to 400°.
2) Use a 15-by-9-by-2-inch baking pan to grease the bottom and sides with 2 tablespoons of the butter.
3) Peel off the potato skin and cut into 1/16 inch slices.
4) In a bowl of cold water, place the slices.
5) In another bowl, toss the two cheeses together with the flour, salt and black pepper.
6) Drain the potato slices and pat dry with paper towel.
7) Arrange 1/3 of potato slices in a layer in the buttered pan.
8) Place a layer of half the chiles over the potatoes.
9) Top the chiles with 1/3 of cheese mixture and dot with 1 tablespoon of the remaining butter.
10) Repeat the process and finally place another layer with remaining potatoes, cheese and butter.
11) Pour in milk over the potatoes.
12) Place the pan inside oven to bake for 30 minutes.
13) Lower the heat to 350° and continue baking for an additional 20 to 30 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork and the top is golden brown.
14) Remove the casserole from the oven and allow resting for 20 minutes before serving.
15) Serve the potatoes by garnishing with more cheese, if desired.
Calories 607 Calories from Fat 328
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 37 g57.2%
Saturated Fat 22.3 g111.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 104.4 mg34.8%
Sodium 1156.6 mg48.2%
Total Carbohydrates 50 g16.6%
Dietary Fiber 3.6 g14.4%
Sugars 8.5 g
Protein 23 g45.3%
Vitamin A 25.7% Vitamin C 49%
Calcium 61.1% Iron 15.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet