Pennsylvania Hot Pot
|Beef chuck||2 Pound, cut into 1 inch cubes|
|All purpose flour||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), unsifted|
|Tomato juice||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Beef bouillon cubes||2|
|Finely chopped parsley||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), minced|
|Potatoes||4 Medium, pared and thinly sliced to make 4 cups|
|Onions||8 Small, peeled and quartered|
|Acorn squash||1 , split and seeded|
1. Use a kitchen scissors to trim fat from beef.
2. Add flour and seasonings to a plastic bag then add beef cubes and shake well to coat.
3. Combine parsley, garlic, salt, and pepper in a cup and keep aside.
4. Slice each squash half into 6 and pare with a paring knife. Keep aside.
5. Preheat the oven to 350°F
6. In a small saucepan, combine tomato juice, bouillon cubes, and sugar and bring to a boil, stirring until bouillon cubes and sugar dissolves.
7. In a large baking dish or casserole, layer potatoes, onions and beef, sprinkling each layer with prepared seasoning.
8. Arrange squash slices on top of last potato layer.
9. Pour hot tomato bouillon over vegetable and meat layers and place small cubes of butter or margarme
10. Cover dish or casserole with foil or lid and place in preheated oven
11. Bake for almost 3 hours, until beef is tender.
12. Take the casserole straight to the table and serve meat and vegetables with crusty bread.
Calories 495 Calories from Fat 217
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 24 g37.1%
Saturated Fat 10.3 g51.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 83.5 mg27.8%
Sodium 1039.8 mg43.3%
Total Carbohydrates 45 g15.1%
Dietary Fiber 5.8 g23.2%
Sugars 9.9 g
Protein 27 g53.7%
Vitamin A 15.8% Vitamin C 81.8%
Calcium 10% Iron 22.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet