Louisiana Red Beans And Rice
|Dried red kidney beans||1 Cup (16 tbs), washed and sorted|
|Cold water||1 Quart|
|Salt pork||1⁄8 Pound (1 Chunk Salt Pork)|
|Yellow onion||1 Medium, peeled and coarsely chopped|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), peeled and crushed|
|Celery stalk||1 , coarsely chopped|
|Bay leaf||1 , crumbled|
|Light brown sugar||1 Tablespoon|
|Hot boiled rice||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Minced parsley||2 Tablespoon|
1) Soak the beans in 2 cups water overnight or by quick method.
2) In a large heavy saucepan, place the beans with the 2 cups water and salt pork, simmer covered for 45 minutes.
3) Add all except the last 3 ingredients and simmer covered for further 30- 45 minutes until tender.
4) Remove and discard the salt pork, then add the salt to taste.
5) Spoon over the hot cooked rice, garnish with the parsley, and serve immediately.