Louisiana Red Beans And Rice
|Dried red kidney beans||1 Cup (16 tbs), washed and sorted|
|Cold water||1 Quart|
|Salt pork||1⁄8 Pound (1 Chunk Salt Pork)|
|Yellow onion||1 Medium, peeled and coarsely chopped|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), peeled and crushed|
|Celery stalk||1 , coarsely chopped|
|Bay leaf||1 , crumbled|
|Light brown sugar||1 Tablespoon|
|Hot boiled rice||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Minced parsley||2 Tablespoon|
1) Soak the beans in 2 cups water overnight or by quick method.
2) In a large heavy saucepan, place the beans with the 2 cups water and salt pork, simmer covered for 45 minutes.
3) Add all except the last 3 ingredients and simmer covered for further 30- 45 minutes until tender.
4) Remove and discard the salt pork, then add the salt to taste.
5) Spoon over the hot cooked rice, garnish with the parsley, and serve immediately.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 2402 Calories from Fat 478
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 53 g81.9%
Saturated Fat 17 g85.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 48.8 mg16.3%
Sodium 1896.8 mg79%
Total Carbohydrates 414 g138%
Dietary Fiber 31.9 g127.8%
Sugars 19.9 g
Protein 73 g145.3%
Vitamin A 55.7% Vitamin C 85.9%
Calcium 27.2% Iron 88.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet