Texas Chili Cornbread Cobbler
|Safflower oil||2 Tablespoon, divided|
|Boneless beef chuck||3 Pound, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes|
|Onion||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs), finley chopped|
|Garlic||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon, minced|
|Poblano chilies||2 , minced|
|Chili powder||1 Tablespoon (Preferably Ancho)|
|Ground cumin||1 Teaspoon|
|Canned crushed tomatoes||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Low sodium beef broth||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs)|
|Canned pinto beans||15 1⁄2 Ounce, drained, rinsed (1 Can)|
|Scallions||1 Bunch (100 gm), sliced|
|Heavy cream||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Safflower oil||1 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Jalapeno||1 Large, chopped|
|Sharp cheddar cheese||6 Ounce|
1. For the chili. Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add one-third of the beef and season with salt and pepper; cook, turning frequently, until browned on all sides, about 8 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Repeat with remaining beef in 2 batches.
2. Add remaining tablespoon oil to saucepan. Add onions, garlic, and chilies; cook, stirring, until onions begin to soften, about 3 minutes. Add chili powder and cumin; cook, stirring, until vegetables are coated and spices are aromatic, about 3 minutes. Return meat to saucepan, then add tomatoes and broth; bringto aboil. Reduce heat to low, partially cover, and simmer gently, stirring occasionally, until beef is tender, 2 1/2 to 3 hours.
3. Transfer beef cubes to a plate. When cool enough to handle, pull meat into shreds and return to saucepan. Stir in beans and scallions and cook until heated through.
4. Meanwhile, heat oven to 350°F. Spoon hot chili into a 9-inch deep-dish pie pan or 3-quart casserole and cover loosely with foil to keep warm.
5. For the cornbread: Combine cornbread mix, cream, water, oil, egg, and chopped jalapeno in a bowl, whisking to blend. Sprinkle cheese over chili, and then spoon batter over cheese, spreading evenly and leaving a 1/2-inch border between batter and pan. Bake until edge of chili is bubbly and corn-bread is springy to the touch, 20 to 25 minutes.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 5753 Calories from Fat 3371
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 384 g590.8%
Saturated Fat 161.9 g809.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 1462 mg487.3%
Sodium 5284.3 mg220.2%
Total Carbohydrates 212 g70.7%
Dietary Fiber 55.2 g220.7%
Sugars 29.7 g
Protein 369 g738.3%
Vitamin A 442.4% Vitamin C 138.7%
Calcium 215.3% Iron 259.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet