Chicago Deep Dish Pizza
|Active dry yeast||1 Tablespoon (1 Package)|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs) (105° To 115° F)|
|Yellow cornmeal||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|All purpose flour/Bread flour||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Extra virgin olive oil||3 Tablespoon|
|Onion||1 , chopped|
|Garlic||3 Clove (15 gm), minced|
|Tomatoes||28 Ounce, pureed (With Juice, 1 Can)|
|Tomato paste||6 Ounce (1 Can)|
|Dried oregano||1 Tablespoon|
|Dried basil||1 Teaspoon|
|Fennel seed||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Vegetable oil||1 Tablespoon (For Oiling Pan)|
|Yellow cornmeal||1 Tablespoon (For Preparing Pan)|
|Grated mozzarella cheese||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Or To Taste)|
|Freshly grated parmesan cheese||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Freshly grated parmesan cheese||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), grated (For Serving)|
|Red pepper flakes||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (For Serving)|
|Dried oregano||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (For Serving)|
1) Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2) In order to prepare the dough, dissolve the yeast and sugar in warm water in a small bowl. Allow it to stand till the mixture is bubbly. This generally takes about 10 minutes.
3) In a different bowl, combine together the flour, salt, cornmeal and 2 tablespoons of oil.
4) Put the flour mixture in a food processor which is fitted with a steel blade. Add the yeast mixture as well and pulse the processor about 5 times so that the ingredients are combined well.
5) Process for nearly 30 seconds to knead the dough. The right dough should form a ball and should be a little tacky to touch. Add more flour and process for about a minute more if the dough gets too sticky.
6) With the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil, oil a bowl and place the dough in it, turn to oil top.
7) Loosely cover the bowl with foil. Allow the dough to rise in a draft-free, warm area till it has doubled in volume. This generally takes about 40 minutes to 1 hour.
8) Make the sauce while the dough is rising. Warm olive oil in a saucepan over medium flame. Add the onion and garlic and sauté for 4 minutes.
9) Add the tomato paste, pureed tomatoes, oregano, basil, sugar, fennel seed, salt and pepper and mix well.
10) Reduce the flame to low and cook over low flame for about 10 minutes, occasionally stirring.
11) Remove from the heat and set aside.
12) With oil, brush a baking pan or pizza pan which is 10-inches in diameter and 2-inches deep. Sprinkle cornmeal all over.
13) Punch down the dough and press it onto the bottom of the pan and up the sides. The rim should ideally be about 1-inch in height.
14) Spread ½ cup of mozzarella all over the crust and spread 1 ½ cup of the tomato sauce over the mozzarella. Quantities can be increased if desired.
15) Over the top of the pizza, sprinkle the remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheese.
16) Bake in preheated oven for about 20 minutes or till the crust turns brown.
17) Serve hot after cutting into wedges or 2-inch squares with dried oregano, hot pepper flakes and Parmesan cheese on the side.