Old Fashioned Quebec Pea Soup
|Salt pork||1 Pound (Lean And Fat)|
|Dry mustard||1 Tablespoon|
|Dried peas||1 Pound|
|Cold water||8 Cup (128 tbs)|
|Onion||1 Large, sliced|
|Coarse salt||1 Tablespoon|
|Dried mint||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Parsley||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), minced|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), minced|
|Hominy||1 Can (10 oz)|
|Dried bread chips||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1) Add dry mustard to the salt pork and rub it in.
2) Put it in a refrigerator for 12 hours after covering it properly.
3) Wash and sort the peas before soaking them in cold water for 12 hours.
4) Take a soup kettle and place the pork and peas along with the water in it.
5) Add coarse onion, mint, parsley, savory and garlic to the contents of the kettle.
6) Bring the ingredients to a boil, then cover them and let it simmer for 3 to 4 hours or until the soup becomes creamy and the peas are softened.
7) Simmer for an additional 15 minutes after adding the hominy.
8) Put in some butter and bread chips.
9) Serve hot after checking the seasoning.