Humboldt County Fried Chicken
|Chicken thighs||12 Large (with skin on)|
|Dry mix ingredients:|
|All-purpose flour||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Bread crumbs||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Paprika||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Sage||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Garlic powder||1 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Ground mustard||1 Tablespoon|
|Ground ginger||1 Tablespoon|
|Ground oregano||1 Tablespoon|
|Olive oil||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
1) Mix together all-purpose flour, bread crumbs, paprika, cup sage, pepper, salt, garlic powder, ground mustard, thyme, ground ginger, ground oregano and divide into two equal parts.
2) Mix together beaten eggs and buttermilk in large bowl. Soak chicken thighs in wet mixture for one hour.
3) Place one part of dry mixture in a shallow dish or zip-lock bag and coat chicken thighs one piece at a time in dry mixture.
4) Place one entire chimney of briquettes under 16 dutch oven.
5) Place 1/2 the olive oil in dutch oven and brown chicken on both sides in the hot oil.
6) Remove chicken from dutch oven and drain oil from oven.
7) Place large trivet in bottom of dutch oven and return chicken to dutch oven.
8) Bake for one hour using one ring of coals under the oven and two rings of coals on the lid and remove chicken and trivet to make gravy.
9) Mix 1/2 cup flour with 1 cup water and stir into drippings using left over coals to simmer. As gravy thickens continue stirring and add additional water or water and flour as needed.
10) Serve the fried chicken with the gravy on the side and enjoy!
Calories 1081 Calories from Fat 807
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 91 g140.2%
Saturated Fat 13.6 g68%
Trans Fat 0.1 g
Cholesterol 222.8 mg74.3%
Sodium 1714.1 mg71.4%
Total Carbohydrates 28 g9.2%
Dietary Fiber 3.6 g14.4%
Sugars 1.8 g
Protein 39 g77.8%
Vitamin A 47.6% Vitamin C 12.3%
Calcium 8.8% Iron 31.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet