Pennsylvania Hot Pot
|Lean boneless chuck||2 Pound, cut into 1 inch cubes|
|All purpose flour||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Tomato juice||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Beef bouillon cubes||2|
|Finely chopped parsley||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), minced|
|Potatoes||4 Medium, pared and thinly sliced|
|Onions||8 Small, quartered|
|Acorn squash||1 , split and seeded|
1. Trim all fat from beef. Shake cubes, a few at a time, with flour in a plastic bag to coat well.
2. Combine tomato juice, bouillon cubes and sugar in a small saucepan; bring just to boiling, crushing cubes to dissolve.
3. Combine parsley, garlic, salt and pepper in a cup.
4. Layer vegetables and meat into a 12-cup, deep baking dish this way: Put in half of each of potatoes, onions and beef, sprinkling each layer lightly with seasoning mixture; repeat with remaining potatoes, onions, beef and seasoning mixture.
5. Cut each squash half into 6 slices; pare; arrange on top. Pour hot tomato-juice mixture over; dot with butter or margarine; cover.
6. Bake in moderate oven (350°) 3 hours, or until the beef is tender.