Cabernet Beef Wellington
|Beef tenderloin||4 Pound, fat trimmed (1 Piece)|
|Olive oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Cabernet sauvignon/Other dry red wine||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Minced shallots||2 Tablespoon, minced|
|Ground nutmeg||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Frozen puff pastry||17 1⁄3 Ounce, thawed (1 Package)|
|Egg yolk||1 Large|
|Watercress sprigs||4 Tablespoon, rinsed and crisped|
|Cabernet bearnaise sauce||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Adjust Quantity As Needed)|
1. Rinse beef and pat dry. If tenderloin tapers, fold tip under to make roast uniformly thick. Tie crosswise at 2-inch intervals with cotton string to form a compact roll. Rub meat with oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Set on a rack in a shallow 10- by 15-inch pan.
2. Roast meat in a 425° oven until a thermometer inserted in center of thickest part reaches 120° (very rare), about 40 minutes, or to your taste.
3. Transfer meat to a rimmed plate and let cool 20 minutes. Add meat juices and 1/4 cup water to roasting pan and scrape drippings free; pour into a small container, cover, and chill. Cover roast and chill until cold, at least 4 hours.
4. Meanwhile, rinse mushrooms, trim off and discard discolored stem ends, and mince. In a 10- to 12-inch frying pan over medium-high heat, frequently stir mushrooms, wine, butter, shallots, and nutmeg until liquid is evaporated and mushrooms are browned, 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool, about 15 minutes.
5. Unfold pastry on a lightly floured board; if there are 2 sheets, stack them. Cut a 1/2-inch-wide strip off 1 edge and reserve. Roll pastry into a neat rectangle 2 inches longer than the roast and 2 inches wider than its circumference.
6. Gently pat mushroom mixture over pastry up to 1 inch from edges. Pat beef dry and remove string. Center roast lengthwise on pastry. Brush pastry edges with water. Using both hands, quickly lift 1 long side over meat. Repeat to lift opposite side over meat; press edges together to seal. Fold in pastry ends, overlapping to cover ends of roast; press firmly to seal. Set roast seam down in an oiled rimmed 10- by 15-inch pan.
7. On floured board, roll reserved pastry strip 1/8 inch thick. With the tip of a sharp knife or flour-dusted cookie cutters, cut out decorative shapes, such as leaves. Brush a little water onto 1 side and arrange on roast, moistened sides down; press gently to hold in place.
8. In a small bowl, beat egg yolk to blend with 1 tablespoon water. Brush mixture over pastry.
9. Bake Wellington in a 400° oven until pastry is richly browned, 25 to 30 minutes. With 2 wide spatulas, transfer roast to a platter. Let rest 15 to 20 minutes. Garnish with watercress. Cut roast crosswise into 1-inch-wide slices.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 6299 Calories from Fat 3149
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 351 g539.4%
Saturated Fat 110.5 g552.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 1465.2 mg488.4%
Sodium 3895.7 mg162.3%
Total Carbohydrates 293 g97.6%
Dietary Fiber 12.5 g49.9%
Sugars 43.7 g
Protein 456 g912.1%
Vitamin A 64.9% Vitamin C 62.9%
Calcium 61% Iron 249.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet